The import feature can be used when you want to add or update data for one or more students. We recommend updating students in bulk via the import if you need to update data for a number of students (more than you'd care to update individually through their profiles or for that data not update-able through Bulk Actions in Student Search).
- IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: DO NOT update High School Graduation Year! You will lose access to all uploaded documents for the student. If you need to change the year, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Before you begin: If you are updating CEEB codes and have any new High Schools to add, first go to Admin Management -> High School Management and create them. Make a note of the new CEEB Codes as you will need them for this import.
- Leaving a cell blank will delete the existing data, e.g. for student Tony Tiger, if his current Address1 is "123 Frosty Lane" and you leave it blank in your import file, his Address1 will be wiped out. If you want to change his Address1 to something else, put in the new value and it will overwrite whatever his current address is in the system. If you do not want to change his Address1, do not include this column in your .csv file, or else populate it with his current address.
- Do not rename or re-order any of the import template columns, or insert new columns, otherwise your import will have errors. Just delete the columns you are not updating.
- If you want to update a field not on the import template, contact us for help.
To update a set of students:
- Start by finding the set of students you wish to update using Student Search. Filter the list to the students to those you want to update, then hit the Export to Excel button. If you can't filter the export down to just the students you want, export a larger set that includes all the students you want to update. You're just using this export to get their Student ID's.
Note 1: If you are just updating one or a few students, you can find their Student ID on the Personal Info tab on the student's profile and skip the Export.
Note 2: If you're using the Export, the value from column B, "Student Id", goes in column A, "Student Id" of your import template.
- Go to Admin Management -> Imports
- Choose Student Import from Select Template dropdown and Download the Student Import Template by clicking "Download Template."
- Complete the Template, following these instructions that explain what data is needed. Save your completed template as a .csv file.
- Go back to Admin Management -> Imports. On the Import screen, choose Student Import and select the file to upload by dropping it in or clicking on the cloud icon .
- Click Upload CSV to import your file to GradSnapp.
- The system will validate your file to make sure it matches the definitions in the instructions. If there are errors in the file, you will get a message "Validation Failed." Click on the Validation Failed link to see the errors. Fix the errors in your file and repeat Step 3.
- Important tip: Sometimes, there are blank lines at the end of the .csv file. This will cause the import to fail. If you are getting validation messages like "Student ID cannot be empty" even though Student ID is populated, then this is the case. One quick way to see this is to open your file in Notepad. You will see a series of ",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,," at the end of the file. Delete these rows.
- Once the validation passes the system will begin the import. After the data is imported, you will get a message indicating whether the import Succeeded or Failed. If it failed, please contact us at email@example.com.
Here's an example: Let's say Cedar High School is closing and all their students are transferring to Pine High School. In Student Search, filter for all students at Cedar High School by selecting High School Name = Cedar High School on the Academics tab. Hit Export to Excel. Download the Student Import template and fill out all required columns except using your export. Then enter the CEEB code for Pine High School on every row. Proceed with step 5 above.
Note: In this example, it would update High School for all students who ever attended Cedar High School. If you only need to change it for students currently at Cedar High School, use the High School Graduation Years on the Student tab to filter for the appropriate cohorts.)
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.